Tuesday, May 24, 2005

PP104: Additions and Revisions

As I've continued working with the sample lesson materials for PP104, they've evolved in various ways.

First, I fleshed out the lesson plan with information on the student "audience," expected time needed for the activities, and objectives. I also added a simple sequencing exercise to the first reading and may add a short "Ask Your Partner Questions" to it; I haven't yet decided.

Next, I'd originally intended to have one homework exercise involving multiple meanings for the same combination of verb + particle(s)—for example, differing meanings of pick out, take out, check out. I don't know if I'll have enough time to do that, however. I did add a free-answer comprehension quiz, though--and this should be a good way of determining whether students understand the meanings of the targeted phrasal verbs and have some idea of their syntactic behavior.

Also, I'd like to include vocabulary and grammar notes to focus on the idiomatic character of phrasal verbs (vocabulary) and the issues of separability / inseparability / no object (grammar). These sections are, I think, necessary; without them, the lesson exists only in isolation and is useful only as a demonstration of how to create different types of exercises and link them to other materials.

One more thing I want to include is a short list of WWW links. (I did my own phrasal verbs site years ago and at the time, it was all there was. Now, however, there are a number of very informative and useful sites devoted to that particular topic; I think my classmates would be interested in knowing about them.

Speaking of links, I'm pleased to have been able to enable students to find definitions for the targeted phrasal verbs in the online Cambridge International Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs (via www.onelook.com).

4 Comments:

Blogger Daf said...

Hey Dennis,

It's awesome to follow the process of your lesson plan creation! Thanks for this added value to our course!!

Daf

6:33 PM  
Blogger Dennis said...

Hi, Daf.

Thanks for the very kind words! Creating the plan and the materials to go with it is a pretty good example of how I work. I'm afraid I'm very detail-oriented, so I'm not really efficient, but that's OK because I feel comfortable doing things in my convoluted way.

The only reason I did the blog was that I thought it might be interesting to have some kind of record of how the materials-development process works with at least one person.

Thanks again for the very kind words!

D. O.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Daf said...

Well Dennis, being picky about details pay the effort when you see the end product as it it the case in your lesson for our course. I like taking care of details but I am usually involved in so many different things that for my own sanity I need to overlook some details which does not make me happy, but I have learned to live with it ;-)

Daf

6:52 PM  
Blogger Dennis said...

I understand completely that for your own sanity, you need to overlook some details. If it were possible to stretch time, you and I could both be as picky about details as we would want, but . . . .

We definitely have to learn to live with this situation!

D. O.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home